The suspect, identified as Jared Asare, also known by the alias “Shatta Kay,” was apprehended on Sunday evening in the outskirts of Atonsu, Kumasi, after a months-long manhunt.
He is believed to be the mastermind behind a string of high-profile armed robberies targeting mobile money vendors, gold dealers, and logistics vehicles in the Ashanti and Bono regions.
The exact details of how he fled remain unclear, though initial reports suggest that he may have tampered with the cell door lock or was aided by an insider.
This incident has triggered internal investigations and public outrage, with many Ghanaians expressing disbelief over how a high-value suspect could vanish from a supposedly secure detention facility.
A senior police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, admitted that the escape was "deeply embarrassing" and said disciplinary action would be taken if any officer is found complicit.
“This was not a petty criminal. He was flagged not just for violent crimes but also suspected of laundering stolen assets. His name once appeared on a persons-of-interest list under OSP investigations,” the official added.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor has since distanced itself from the incident, stating in a press release that although Asare was previously on their radar for illicit financial activities linked to armed robbery proceeds, the responsibility for his detention and handling lay entirely with the Ghana Police Service.
Civil society groups and anti-corruption watchdogs have called for immediate reforms in detainee management and prison infrastructure.
“This is the second time in under a year that a key suspect in a major criminal network has mysteriously ‘vanished’ from custody. It’s either gross incompetence or there are deeper systemic issues at play,” said Mary Nyarko of Justice Watch Ghana.
Meanwhile, a nationwide manhunt is underway, with the Ghana Police Service announcing a GH¢20,000 reward for information leading to Asare’s recapture.